Speaker of the House-designee Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, today announced who will chair six committees in the upcoming House of Delegates session now that Republicans have regained the majority.
Among them are Del. Terry Austin, R-Botetourt County, who will chair the transportation committee and Del. Kathy Byron, R-Campbell County, who will chair the labor and commerce committee.
Earlier Gilbert had announced that Del. Barry Knight, R-Virginia Beach, would chair the House Appropriations Committee. Today’s list includes:
- Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources: Del. Lee Ware, R-Powhatan
- Courts of Justice: Del. Rob Bell, R-Albemarle
- General Laws: Del. Jay Leftwich, R-Chesapeake
- Health, Welfare and Institutions: Del. Bobby Orrock, R-Caroline
- Labor and Commerce: Del. Kathy Byron, R-Campbell
- Transportation: Del. Terry Austin, R-Botetourt
Gilbert said in a statement: “”In keeping with long-standing Caucus precedent, Caucus Chair Kathy Byron and Whip Jay Leftwich are stepping aside from their roles in elected caucus leadership in order to take on their new roles as committee chairs. Their replacements will be chosen by the Caucus at a later date.”
Additional appointments will be announced at a later date.