Here are some of the top headlines from other news outlets around Southwest and Southside:
Southwest Virginia cases still rising but may have hit peak. — The Roanoke Times.
Covid hospitalizations up again at Sovah Health-Danville, hospital extends pause on elective surgery. — Danville Register & Bee.
List of cases and quarantines by school. — WSLS-TV.
Masks in schools:
- Campbell County to let parents decide. — Lynchburg News & Advance and WSET-TV.
- Franklin County mask mandate stands for now — The Roanoke Times and WSLS-TV.
- Lynchburg to keep mask mandate. — Lynchburg News & Advance and WSLS-TV.
- Salem to require masks for now. — The Roanoke Times.
- List of other schools and their policies. — WDBJ-TV and WSLS-TV and WSET-TV.
See our coverage on schools scrambling after Gov. Youngkin’s executive order here.
Montgomery County and its towns wade through labor void. — The Roanoke Times.
Director pushing forward with new hope for Crooked Road. — Bristol Herald-Courier
Rosie’s Gaming Emporium in Vinton expands. — WDBJ-TV.
Politics and government:
As Republicans push ban on critical race theory, educators insist its not taught. — The Roanoke Times.
Debbie Bell, fired from Roanoke branch of attorney general’s office by Jason Miyares (and wife of former Republican state senator, not ready to hang up hat on public service. — The Roanoke Times.
Amherst County supervisors approve $19.4 addition, renovation to high school. — Lynchburg News & Advance.
Chatham gospel singer honored for lifetime achievement. — Chatham Star-Tribune.
Virginia parks system moving to online reservation system. — WCYB-TV.